Going through a divorce is a difficult time of uncertainty that impacts the whole family. The process can take an emotional toll, upset normal routines, and cause concern about financial stability during and after the divorce. You need to be well-informed of your rights and responsibilities, in order to make the best decisions and take the necessary actions to ensure the best possible outcome for your family and yourself.
An experienced Salt Lake City divorce attorney can properly manage the legal process for you in the Utah family court system. Having a qualified lawyer to represent you helps ensure that you receive all that you are entitled to under Utah state law.
Choose a divorce attorney who communicates well with you, one who listens carefully, provides you with thorough answers to your questions, and who has a track record of success in Utah divorce cases.
Why You Need a Utah Family Law Attorney in a Divorce
The multiple legal matters involved in a divorce can sometimes be negotiated or settled through mediation, without going to court. In other cases, the outcome must be determined by a judge in the Utah family court. Your lawyer will guide you through the process and partner with you to help defend your interests.
Issues including child custody, visitation schedules, division of property and other matters to be resolved as part of a divorce require a qualified Utah family law attorney. Your lawyer will make sure that all state laws and all rules of the civil court system are followed as necessary to ensure that your case can be completed and that you receive everything that you are entitled to under Utah law.
What’s at Stake in Family Court for Parties in a Divorce Proceeding
In a divorce, everyone involved must depend on receiving a fair and reasonable outcome in each of the legal matters that must be decided, including in:
- Division of Property: A fair division of marital property, including real estate and personal property, a family business, retirement funds must be made. Fair distribution of debts must also be determined.
- Child Custody: Either one parent will have custody of a child, or custody may be shared, if it is determined that both parents are able to communicate and cooperate to make a shared custody arrangement work well for the child.
- Child Visitation: Parent Time Scheduling is arranged to fit the needs of the child and to make it possible for children and parents to maintain essential relationships after divorce.
- Child Support: Determining the amount of child support is typically one of the more difficult issues addressed in a divorce. The complex calculation of child support involves a number of factors.
- Spousal Support: Support for a spouse becomes important in cases where one spouse has stayed home to raise children, to enable the other to pursue a career.
- Legal Separation: Separate Maintenance requires a legal action similar to divorce, to determine property division, financial support, child custody, and other matters involved in separation.
- Paternity Issues: Determination of paternity can be necessary, in cases of child custody, visitation rights, and child support.
- Adoption and Guardianship: Grandparents or step-parents, for example, may gain legal right to make major decisions about the protection and best interests of children.
- Protection Orders: A request for a protection order may be submitted in cases involving domestic violence.
- Prenup and Postnups: Especially if one spouse plans to delay starting a career in order to stay home to raise children, these instruments are helpful for a couple’s future planning.
The Law Offices of Eric Swinyard, Lehi, Utah Divorce Attorney
We are a family law practice in Lehi, Utah. We help people going through divorce, by providing experienced legal representation at affordable rates. We assist our clients in cases of divorce, child custody, child support, spousal support, parent-time scheduling, paternity, adoption and other matters of family law.
If you need an experienced divorce lawyer in Lehi, or the greater Salt Lake City area, call Eric Swinyard, Lehi, Utah Divorce Lawyer at (801) 850-9740 to schedule a free consultation to discuss the details of your situation.